Marmaris – a “pearl” of the Turkish Riviera- is located in a wide bay where both Aegean and Mediterranean Sea touch, close to many cultural monuments as Ephesus, Miletus and Pamukkale. Warm sea, long sandy beaches, diverse shopping centers and craft shops, well-organized daytime and nighttime entertainments, with traditionally rich gastronomic offer, made this coastal town very popular for tourists from many countries. In fact, the peninsula that Marmaris is located on can be called as a peace of heaven on Earth and you sure will agree with me when you see the miracles of the nature surrounding the region.
Yes, here I have to confess that every single Turkish person has a dream of spending the rest of their life around there at a small cottage after retirement. If you have a chance to spend a summer vacation in Marmaris, the beautiful nature around, the beaches and bays, the old part of Marmaris -that still is in its traditional form- and the nightlife will surely attract more of your attention.
In addition, as a tourist while experiencing an unforgettable seatrip of the Aegean Sea, you can also visit the famous Icmeler beach as well as many beautiful beaches of Cleopatra Island. Marmaris is known as one of the best dive sites in the southern part of the Aegean Sea, so enthusiastic divers should keep this in mind!
Overview of the city
Marmaris is a port city in Muğla Province and a big tourist center on the Mediterranean coast in southeastern part of Turkey. Starting from early 1980s, the town developed rapidly as other new raising touristic attractions of Turkey, and its main economic activity now is tourism. From the former small sleepy fishing village, it has become a modern tourist center located along the coastline of the Turkish Riviera.
According to data from 2010, the city had a population of 30,957 inhabitants, but the number of the population rises at around 400,000 people during the height of the tourist season. Marmaris has a Mediterranean climate, characterized by humid and warm summers (temperatures can reach over 40 °C during July and August) and cold and rainy winters. A noticable number of tourists tend to visit this city at the beginning of autumn (especially in September, or even in October), to avoid unbearable high temperatures. But, this region is not as hot as Antalya side.
This town has an exceptional geographical position because it is located on the coast and surrounded by mountain ranges from two sides. Around the city, there are huge citrus plantations and old pine forests. It is also a famous center for diving and sailing, that possesses two large and several smaller marinas. The long promenade along the coast is very suitable for romantic visitors.
Numerous minibuses, which are almost always available during the day, connect the city center and the nearby beaches. The nearest airports are Dalaman Airport – an international airport located about 100 km.s from the city, and Milas–Bodrum Airport – about 150 km.s away.
Top beaches of Marmaris area
- Icmeler beach – Located not far from Marmaris – about 8 km from the city center. If you enjoy long walks, promenade along the coast (10 km long) that connects Icmeler and Marmaris will delight you. Also, this beach provides good conditions for various water sports.
- Long beach – 500 m away from the city center. Along the landscaped walkways, there are many restaurants, bars and pubs – open until midnight.
- Marmaris Folk Beach – A sandy urban beach located in the city center, so you will be able to dip into the sea water whenever you want. This beach is free of charge!
- Turunc Beach – 21 km from city. Turunc is located in between mountains and rolling forested hills. It has an azure and beautiful calm sea. The average water temperature is 27ºC.
- Cleopatra Beach on Sedir Island – 16 km from central Marmaris. This ancient city of Cedrae is known for its amazing golden sandy beaches.
In addition to these gorgeous beaches, we also recommend you to visit: Kumlubuk Beach, Orhaniye – Kiz Kumu Beach, Cennet (Paradise) Island Beach or Gunnucek Beach.
What to do in and around Marmaris?
- Daily Boat tours – They organize daily boat tours to the nearby islands and bays. The Kumlubük, Çiftlik, Turunç, Phosphorus Cave and Paradise Island (Nimara) are the most popular locations for daily tours. These tours offer great fun, drinks and the swimming at night. Also, you can go on a tour of Ephesus, Miletus, Pamukkale, the Kaunos or Hierapolis.
- Marmaris Castle – The castle is said to be built by Ionians and reconstructed by Süleyman the Magnificent (Ottoman sultan of the time) in 1522. Since 1979, renovation of the castle has continued and the Marmaris Castle was converted into a unique museum with seven galleries, exhibition hall and large courtyard. Now it became a real nice place to visit.
- Visiting the Aqua Parks, which are located on the beaches. The large curving Toboggans, a beautiful swimming pool and the diverse range of boats, do not leave anyone indifferent.
- City nightlife – Don’t miss this pleasure! The biggest impression on visitors leaving the famous Bar Street, which is full of discos, cafes and bars. Also, you should check out Albatross (famous karaoke bar) and Crazy Daisy Bar.
- If you want to feel the spirit of traditional Turkey, so-called “Turkish evenings/nights” are special attractions. They include traditional meals, local drinks, folklore and belly dance.
- Try local delicacies and traditional meals in some of these restaurants: Sofra Restaurant, Taj Mahal or Dede Restaurant. You will not forget the taste of local spices!
- Shopping – There are many modern shopping centers (the largest is located in the city center), shops of traditional Turkish goods (leather, jewelry, spices, honey, Turkish coffee, and so on) and the unavoidable bazaar.
Hotels in Marmaris
If you’re still thinking which hotel to choose in Marmaris, we may propose you some of our selection of several well-known luxury hotels and apartments. For sure, these several hotels are just for giving you an idea. If you wish to see further selections you can click here and see other hotels in Marmaris.
s Club Likya Apartments – Located in the center of Marmaris district, this great hotel offers an outdoor swimming pool with free sun loungers and parasols, free Wi-Fi, kids’ playground and many activities such as table tennis, darts or billiards. Club Likya includes apartments with bedroom, living room, balcony, bathroom, and some apartments offer nice pool views.
s Sunrise Hotel – Luxury 4 star hotel with private wonderful beaches over public promenade in front of pool. Facilities at the hotel include a 24 hour reception, a seasonal swimming pool and an airport shuttle service.
s HotelAqua – It is located at 100 m long sandy-gravelly beach, 200 m far away from the center of Icmeler and 7 km from the city of Marmaris. The hotel has 216 standard and deluxe rooms. It offers: restaurants, pool and beach bar, outdoor and indoor swimming pool, spa & wellness, fitness center and etc.
s ClubAida – This comfortable hotel is located 500 meters from the nearest beach. All rooms have the modern and elegant furniture. From some balconies, there is a unique view of the Aegean Sea. Here, guests can relax in the sauna, spa center, Turkish bath, Jacuzzi or to exercise in a well equipped gym.
And the last but not the least part: we’ve found some useful and detailed stuff while trying to learn more about Marmaris. You can also check:
for more about rentals, tours and transportation issues.